Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Password Change

I'm sure that we all use computers at our jobs. Which means that most of us also have passwords to access these computers at our jobs. And most places require these passwords to be changed after a set period of time, like 90 days.

This is one of my least favorite things about security. The password change. I really really hate it. Every time I have to change my password, I go through the same process
  1. Now I have to think of a new password, and this is what goes through my head: "Fuck. That last one was a good one, too! What the hell can I use for a password?"
  2. Enter new password and verify new password
  3. Promptly forget that you have just changed the password
  4. An hour later, get up to get coffee, try to unlock the computer when back at desk, and immediately type in the old password. Press enter. Say "Shit". And type in the new password.
  5. Repeat step four for the remainder of the day
  6. Repeat steps four and five for the remainder of the next day
  7. Show up on day three, type in the old password, say "AH!" because you remembered the password change before pressing enter. Feel very proud for remembering.
  8. Repeat step seven for the remainder of the day, feeling less proud.
  9. On day four, I tend to get it right for most of the day.
  10. For the remainder of the week, any time that I rush to my desk because something is blowing up, and I need to do something NOW, I type in the old password, press enter, say "FUCK!", and reenter.

I hate the password change...I want biometrics. They can't ask me to change my finger print every ninety days, can they?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cake said...

You just summed up my entire week.

::fume::

May 19, 2006 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home